Our guide to getting started with the latest brutal stress-reliever.
Earlier this week we reviewed Kick The Buddy: No Mercy, awarding the game a 3.5 out of 5 star score. There's not a lot of handholding in the game for the complete newcomer, so to get you started we've put together some useful hints and tips.
- In the early days, you're going to need to make some money, and make it quickly. Grab the grenades and use rapid finger swipes to scatter a few over Buddy. Once he's flying around the screen, start scattering a few more so you can keep a constant chain-reaction of explosions going. Buying the darts from the Sports section of the store is also a rapid way of making money. Use two fingers to flick the darts towards Buddy with small, sharp finger flicks.
- Keep an eye on the mission system for an idea of what to do next, but don't be led blindly by it. Some of the missions require an expensive upgrade to participate in, and it's better in the long run to slowly unlock new tools and weapons.
- Once Buddy's eyes turn into crosses, you might as well pack up and stop what you're doing - for now at least. You won't earn any more money until he's started returning to normal. You'll know when he's back to full health when he starts moving around the screen and has a smile on his face again.
- Want a quicker way of getting access to all of your objects? The tutorial doesn't explain this very well, but go into the Store and keep your finger held down firmly on your favorite item. When it zooms in a little, drag the item to the very top of the screen. If you want to access it again, or grab another of your favorites, just tap at the top of the screen to bring them into view.
- If you're tired of the current on-screen action, tap on the trashcan icon at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, then quickly tap it again. Buddy will be rolled up, thrown in, then magically appear elsewhere, ready for whatever terrible trouble you've cooked up for him next.
- If you want to make Buddy's face look a little different, head into the Profile section of the main menu, then tap on the Polaroid picture of him. From here, you can select a picture from your camera roll, or take a new one with your device's camera, and have it appear over Buddy's face.
- You can change many of Buddy's reactions by tapping on the blood-bag icon in the main menu. From here you can buy upgrades that will zombify him, cause his damage to appear as rainbows, or just turn him into a mechanical contraption.