How To Back Up Miiverse Posts
Nintendo has provided a way for players to request a copy of all of their Miiverse posts. Here's how it works.
With the growing popularity of Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo has chosen to permanently shut down the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS-based Miiverse social platform later this year. Fortunately for all of the service's many fans, Nintendo will be providing a way for users to request a backup copy of all their Miiverse posts. The service will only be provided on a per-request basis, meaning players will have to contact Nintendo directly if they want a digital copy of their Miiverse posts. Here's how the process works.
How Players Can Request A Backup Copy Of Their Miiverse Posts
First things first: there are some restrictions on who can request a backup of Miiverse posts as well as when. Before users asks for their Miiverse backup, they'll have to make sure that they have a valid Nintendo Network ID, and that their network ID is tied to a Nintendo Account. Beyond that, users will have to make their request for a backup before Miiverse shuts down, meaning requests should be submitted by November 7 at 10 p.m. Pacific time, if not before.
Beyond that, the process appears simple: head over to the Miiverse webpage and search for the button labeled "Information on Downloading your Post History." Alternatively, users can click this link to go to the Miiverse backup request page. After logging in, users will be able to post their relevant Nintendo account information and submit their request.
The backup copy will consist of a ZIP file that contains post history content including a user's posts, all of their hand-drawn images, and all posted screenshots, in addition to copies of all the images in the player's screenshot album. After the posts are collected, a link to download the ZIP file will be sent via e-mail after the Miiverse service closes down. There are a few things players will want to keep in mind, however, specifically in the wait time for backups to arrive, which Nintendo said could take weeks. Here are the official details as provided by Nintendo:
• The Nintendo Account Agreement applies to your use of this service.
• After the Miiverse service has ended, an email which includes a link to download your post history will be sent to the email address registered to your Nintendo Account. Please note that this email will not be sent to the email address registered to your Nintendo Network ID.
• It may take a few weeks after the Miiverse service has ended for you to receive the email containing the link via which you can download your post history.
• Some posts or screenshots may not be included in your downloadable post history due to their status at the time the Miiverse service ends. Please be sure to save any important posts and screenshots via your browser before the end of the service.
• Please note that you might not receive the email containing the link via which you can download your post history if you change or remove the link between your Nintendo Network ID and your Nintendo Account after submitting the request.
• A PC is needed to download or view your post history. A smart device cannot be used.
• Your downloadable post history will be contained in a .ZIP file. You will need to open the file on a PC in order to view its contents.
• Please be aware that your post history request may be declined by an administrator if you violate the Miiverse Code of Conduct after submitting the request.
Though it's only a small comfort after hearing of Miiverse closing down, players will at least have an easy reference for all the good times they've shared on Nintendo's social network. Good bye, Miiverse, and good night.
Miiverse may soon disappear, but Nintendo continues to live on. Experience the best that the company's latest console has to offer by checking out some of the titles we've featured on our list of the Best Nintendo Switch Games.