Mr. Crab Cheats And Tips
We reviewed Illusion Labs' Mr. Crab towards the end of last week, and had much praise for the game's slick presentation and refreshing twist on the typical App Store platform fodder. We're still playing the game, and have put together some useful hints and tips that should help you navigate your way through the trickier stages.
- If you want to get a high star rating on a level, it's very important that you grab as many of your crab children as possible as you ascend the tower! Don't be too quick to head to the top, and if you just miss out on grabbing a baby crab, keep traveling - more often than not there'll be a wall coming up that you can bounce off to change direction.
- Capturing as many bubbles as you can is important, but always pay close attention to what's coming up around the next rotating corner. As a priority, you need to make sure you bop off the heads of any enemies, otherwise you'll be sent dropping to a lower level - of course, you can always use that as a tactic to descend quickly if you've missed out on any crabs.
- You may have noticed during play that tapping on Mr Crab's icon on the main menu changes the fetching hat that he sports. If you're wondering how to get your claws on more of these, they drop from the boss fights that are spread out between level sets. Just tap on Mr Crab to cycle through his available headgear.
- You never have to do anything other than bounce off the heads of the gigantic bosses in the game. Keep repeating that and they'll eventually expire and drop their precious hat. Just be aware that you'll very often have to get to a decent height in order to drop onto them - head straight at them and you'll likely be knocked downwards in the stage.
- Don't forget that when you're knocked down to a lower level by an enemy, you'll also lose your crab babies. They will be left in a pile somewhere on the tower (often above where you land), and you'll need to run over the pile once to pick them all up again.
- If you're struggling to make progress on a level, make sure you explore every nook and cranny. Very often the level will rearrange itself to open up new pathways, but you'll need to trigger the change by performing a certain action. That might be traveling over a certain part of the landscape, or collecting a particular bubble or baby crab.
- The arrows aren't just useful for pointing you in the right direction, they're also excellent markers for where you should begin your jump. If you're struggling to clear multiple gaps that appear quickly one after another, follow the arrow guideline for your starting jump and you should clear the obstacle cleanly.