Frozen Synapse iPad Cheats And Tips
A beginner's guide to this tricky tactical strategy game.
Frozen Synapse picked up an impressive score of 4 out of 5 in our review earlier today, but there's no denying it's a tricky game for the newcomer to get acclimatized to. With that in mind, we've put together some hints and tips to make the early days just a little less painful.
- Try to control the cover areas, denoted with a light blue, as much as possible. These offer a tremendous bonus in combat, as the person who can successfully evade attacks has more opportunities to create successful attacks - and stay alive.
- Don't dive straight into the game without brushing up on the basics. There are some essential videos to be watched from the menu screen. Don't slog through all of them, but do watch the basics on movement and firing opportunities before starting your first mission. It's not exciting advice, but it's actually pretty important!
- You can afford to be a lot more aggressive in the singleplayer campaign, but make every move count when you're playing in multiplayer - and play things cautiously. Be sure to understand where your enemy is whenever possible, and try and think what their overall strategy might be, so you don't end up wandering into a deadly trap.
- You'll very rarely emerge victorious by charging into an open area to take your shot. Don't move any further than you have to in order to get your weapon in range, and in line of sight. Always think about how vulnerable your next move might leave a soldier - the enemy might be creeping into that space as the action unfolds, or be in a position to aim at you when you're left exposed.
- If you find yourself in cover, and you want to protect yourself from an incoming assault, make use of the Duck command. This will make it impossible for you to have sight on an opponent, but also make it impossible for them to fire upon you. This will give you precious time to plot a way out of trouble.
- Using the Aim function on a soldier will improve his attack, but also penalize his movement. Don't leave the unit vulnerable to a counter-attack, however tempting it may be to take an easy kill. Sometimes it's better to be agile than deadly.
- If someone's giving you the runaround, and you have the troops to handle it, consider flanking the opponent so that they have less options for out-maneuvering you. Just make sure you're not being led into a trap they've created.