Starship Battles Cheats And Tips
Because even the best commanders can always use a few tips.
We gave Starship Battles a score of 4 out of 5 in this morning's review, and although the strategy might be simple, we think you'll find it a very addictive little strategic blaster. We picked up a few useful hints and tips while playing the game, so here's everything you need to know to get started.
- Be very cautious when it comes to using your more powerful torpedo, as these are critical when it comes to taking down the ship-spawning carriers. The earlier waves of carriers will require one torpedo shot, slightly larger ones will require two and so on. Keep a close eye on the growth of these spawning ships, and use your torpedoes accordingly.
- Your ears are as important as your eyes in Starship Battles. As soon as you've cleared the threat from around your ship, listen out for any unusual sounds. If you hear one, look for a red marker on the screen that shows the initial spawn of the carrier. It will travel around the screen before settling, so get to it quickly and fire off a torpedo. If you time this right, you can usually destroy the carrier before it's had a chance to let more than a ship or two loose.
- After playing the game for a while, you will learn very quickly when your ship faces overwhelming force. For this reason, you should save up your nukes until this moment comes, and prioritize hunting down every last scrap of mineral before you get blown up. The nuke is on a cooldown, but this is a great way of keeping your ship alive when - let's be honest - all hope is lost.
- Each ship has its own different flavor of combat specialty, and it pays to spend some time reading through these specializations on the ship screen. For the most part though, you're going to want to get out of that frigate as soon as possible, and into something a little sturdier. The next ship isn't that expensive, and it's worth concentrating on upgrading that new ship first.
- Want to upgrade your ship more quickly in Starship Battles? If you quit out of the game, you'll lose any resources you've gathered - but if you know you've collected enough to buy a new upgrade, just leave the game be and your mothership will be toast in no time! Now you can head into the menu and give your ship of choice the upgrades it deserves.
- Your basic weapon is more than capable of taking down the majority of inbound enemies, but don't feel you have to get it right with one shot. This weapon uses an extremely small amount of energy, and you can afford to lay out a few shots in a line to make sure the enemy ship goes down. If the enemy's moving in a straight line, target accordingly. If they're moving around a little, scatter your targets around to make sure they wander into at least one line of fire.
- Cleared the screens of enemies? Make sure you have a very quick scour around all the edges of the screen to grab any mineral resources you can before the next wave arrives. Get into the habit of clear-and-collect, and you'll have some juicy new upgrades and ships before you know it. You can move your view around the screen by swiping your finger, and minerals are collected simply by tapping on them.