Lums Cheats And Tips
Ten essential tips for tackling this tricky physics puzzle game.
Don't be fooled into thinking that Lums is just another physics puzzler inspired by the success of Angry Birds. While it's true that there are plenty of platforms to clatter through and enemies to topple, its a game with some very original mechanics. We gave the game a score of 4 out of 5 in our review this morning, now here are our top hints and tips for tackling Lums' stiff challenge.
- Don't get used to that protective bubble you're given in the first few levels. Once you're off your training wheels, you'll lose control of your cannonball Lums whenever they touch a surface. Be very careful navigating around the screen.
- The luminous Lum can be used to brighten up dark spaces and nail those tricky vampires, but once it touches a surface it's stuck for good. Be very careful when navigating these creatures through tight spaces, and be aware that they can pass through glass without sticking to it.
- Laser beams are absolutely deadly to any Lums that try to pass through, but sometimes you're going to have to find a way through regardless. See if there are any nearby objects you can use to block the path of the beam, and make more progress that way.
- The anti-gravity Lum is very useful, but also quite unpredictable. Think very carefully about how you latch onto a particular object. Picking it up just a fraction on the wrong side might result in an unlucky bounce when the object falls.
- If you've tried everything, and you really can't bust your way through a level, consider using one of your limited number of nukes. You can access these from the radiation icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Once activated, every vampire creature on the screen will evaporate, but you won't receive any star rewards.
- Like the luminous Lum, the transparent Lum can pass through glass. Not only that, it will turn even the most hard-wearing materials into glass, making it much easier for a cannonball Lum to clatter through scenery. Try and use this Lum type to make the rest of the level much easier.
- To open up each set of levels, you need to have acquired a certain number of the stars that are littered around every stage. If you need just a handful more to unlock more content, go back to the very earliest levels and make sure you grab every last star from these easier puzzles.
- The stone Lum can be used to turn lightweight materials into very hard stone. This is very useful for blocking off laser beams that are in the way, but placed incorrectly you can end up being unable to complete the level. Move these creatures very slowly around the screen.
- The order you can play the Lums actually gives you a big clue about how to solve each puzzle. If you're given a gravity-shifting Lum at the start, see if there's any scenery around that will open up a clear path ahead. A luminous Lum will almost always need to be placed well away from existing sources of light. Approach each level in this way, experiment a little, and you should have no trouble breaking down the challenge.
- The cannonball Lum is your bog-standard assault unit. These tough blighters can smash through even brick, although they'll travel further if you can fling them through lighter material, such as glass and wood.