Rymdkapsel Cheats And Tips
Ten essential tips for mastering this stellar strategy game.
Back in June, we had the opportunity to go hands-on with Martin Jonasson's fascinating and minimalist space strategy game, Rymdkapsel. The game finally hit the App Store earlier this month, and we've been playing it solidly ever since. Here are ten very handy hints to help you get the most out of the game.
- It's never too early to start planning your expansion in Rymdkapsel. While your overall objective is to research the mysterious monoliths spread out in space, you're going to need resources to keep your station going until you've reached them all. Try to map out your rooms and pathways so that you naturally gather resources on your way to each monolith.
- Want to get a nice fast push at the beginning of the game? The first wave of attackers don't actually assault your base, they simply scope it out to see what you're up to. Don't waste any time getting your troops into a defensive position for this first wave, just keep plugging away at construction and expansion until the second wave of enemies comes into play.
- Just because you don't have the necessary resources to hand, that doesn't mean you can't plan out your routes to each monolith from the very start of the game. Before you start building any other rooms or structures, map out your corridors to each monolith, and your construction team will build towards the monoliths as and when the necessary resources become available. With that said, make sure you focus on one monolith at a time when you build out these initial pathways.
- Rooms that are dependent on each other's resources should always be placed next to one another wherever possible. Keeping everything compact in this way will minimize the minion travel time required to move items from one room to another.
- It's incredibly easy to find yourself starved of a particular resource and unable to make further progress, so get accustomed to the various synergies between resource types as soon as possible. Don't over-stretch yourself, or focus too much on one resource in particular - each and every one is essential for beating the game. If you really get stuck, think about selling a room or two, but again, make sure you don't make a bad problem even worse in the process!
- We know how hard it is to resist slotting those tetromino shapes together oh-so neatly, but try not to let that aesthetic desire over-ride the need to connect things up promptly and efficiently. This is particularly important in the early days, when getting a route mapped out to all of the monoliths is the first priority.
- It pays to keep resource-generating rooms in close proximity with each other, and that means starting off with a plan for your extractors. Get the extraction nodes capped off nice and quickly, and then plan the rest of your rooms around those positions. Don't forget that extractable resources are not infinite in quantity - make sure you've always got a plan for placing your next extractor.
- Your troops are going to spend an awful lot of their time researching the monoliths so they can get the benefit of those amazing gameplay buffs. For this reason, it's a great idea to place your barracks rooms in close proximity to the monoliths, so that your army can get into position quickly when a wave of enemies approaches.
- Keep a close eye on how you've rostered the activities of your minions. Swiping left and right between categories will send minions back and forth between duties. Just be aware of where minions are at any one time, so that you efficiently trade troops between different resource requirements.
- Want to ditch a tetromino shape to keep things tidy? No problem. Move the shape into position somewhere on the gameplay are, select the option to build the room, and then immediately cancel it. The room won't be built quickly enough for any resources to be wasted, and you now have access to the next shape.