FIFA 14 iPhone, iPad & Android Cheats And Tips: Controls
How to get to grips with this year's intriguing new control system.
This year's edition of FIFA on mobiles certainly makes a break from tradition with a fascinating new control system that does away with virtual joysticks in favor of a bespoke swipe system. Struggling to get to grips with the basics? Here's our guide to staying on top of the ball.
- To clear the ball out of danger, or simply take a goal-kick and send the ball down the pitch, make a big swipe while in your own half. If a teammate is within range and position of the player who's making the shot, they'll attempt to pass the ball in their direction.
- Once you've mastered the basics of the game, you'll want to look into faking some shots to keep your opponents on their toes. When you're in the box, swipe left or right of the player to add a dummy effect to your play.
- If you want a player to break away from the pack, and gain a little more open space for themselves, hold down on the player and then drag them into the position you want them to move towards. This is a great way of building up attacking moves, and should be mastered as soon as you've nailed the basics.
- If you want to bring your goalkeeper into play in a one-on-one situation, hold down on the goalie and then drag towards the attacker. Note that this is a very risky strategy, as the striker may simply chip over your goalkeeper to score.
- To get a little bit of distance between the player in possession and a nearby opponent, press down on the screen to have them sprint into their forward position. Be careful though, as it's much harder to control the player at higher speed.
- To put pressure on your opponent, tap on them when your active player is nearby. This will force them to take action, whether that's offensive, defensive, or simply a case of them maneuvering away from you. Keep 'em busy to keep them away from goal.
- We really recommend that you avoid tackling players from behind, as it's very hard to get away with this without incurring at least a yellow card. Instead, get into position ahead of the player, and then swipe towards them to make the tackle.
- To pass to another player, simply tap on them. To take a shot on goal, make a swipe from your striker towards the section of the goal you'd like to aim towards. Make a faster, longer swipe to add more power to the shot, albeit at the cost of accuracy.