What's Going On With the iOS 8 Update?
What's going on and why should you care? We've got the details here.
Though we've not had many issues with the previous version of iOS 8, the latest version of iOS 8 appears to be causing some problems -- problems that, after Apple has seen the many users affected by them, have caused the update to be pulled.
Earlier today, Apple released iOS 8.0.1, which was meant to resolve existing issues some users had been experiencing. Unfortunately, it brought with it a whole host of other problems, even making some phones virtually useless. Some phone owners reported that they couldn't make calls, or even use their keyboards. It's scary stuff, to be sure, but if you're just hearing about it now, the update has already been pulled back -- nothing to worry about just yet,
If you've already downloaded the update, there's hope for you yet, as you can restore your phone to iOS 8 using the iPhone's "Back Up Now" option, but until the all clear has been communicated, it's a good idea to stay far, far away from any upcoming updates you might see coming down the pipeline. Especially if you don't want a malfunctioning phone in the meantime.
If you've already upgraded and need a quick fix, there's a solution. Follow the steps below:
1. Download iOS 8 firmware online and keep a copy on your computer that you use to sync your phone.
2. Turn off Find My iPhone by going into Settings and turning it off from there.
3. You'll have to perform a system restore, so make sure you back up our device. Make sure you hook up your device via iTunes and choose "Back Up Now."
4. Go to iTunes and hold down the shift key (or option key on Mac) and find the iOS 8 copy. Click "Resore iPhone."
5. Install iOS 8 and wait for your phone to reboot, then "Restore Backup."
You'll be as close to the previous iteration of iOS 8 as possible, but be sure to watch out for additional issues when and if they crop up. If you're still chilling with iOS 7 and you're afraid despite the seemingly stable nature of iOS 8, you could always stay where you are and wait a bit.